Unreleased Marie demos surface at Dutch record fair
UTRECH – Eight unreleased demos by Marie Fredriksson, recorded in English and therefore presumably intended as possible Roxette songs, have appeared on a bootleg CD being sold by a Swedish trader at the Mega Record and CD Fair taking place this weekend in the Netherlands.
The bootleg, called “Marie Fredriksson: Duets, Demos and Odd Live Tracks,” contains 17 songs. Nine of the tracks are from various live performances, but what really has drawn attention are the eight previously unreleased demos that appear on the CD.
As we go to press with this article, The Daily Roxette has been unable to determine with certainty how it is that these demo tracks were obtained. However, one can clearly see that most were recorded by Marie before the release of “Have A Nice Day” (1999) and her solo compilation, “Äntligen” (2000), since demos for “Beautiful Things” and “Waiting For The Rain” are featured in the CD, as well as “Always The Last To Know,” later released as “Det Som Var Nu,” a duet with Patrik Isaksson.
“I don’t think they were stolen, I definitely think they were given to him,” says Cathy Carlier who occasionally does freelance graphic design and also heads the Roxette fan club in Belgium. It was she who designed the front and back covers at the request of an acquaintance named “Jan” in Sweden.
“He’s leaving for Australia to attend a friend’s wedding and will be there for several weeks,” she said. Carlier thinks he may have worked for EMI Sweden at one time, and therefore has friends there who may have given him the recordings.
The tracks were available for a short time via links posted on a couple of individual fan sites, but these original links have been removed. As is the nature of the internet these days, the files have quickly appeared elsewhere.
Because of the weekend, a spokesperson from EMI was not immediately available for comment.
The full tracklist of this bootleg is as follows:
1. Så Nära Nu – Lasse Lindbom Band, taken from “Romantisk blackout”, 1982.
2. Kärlek – Lasse Lindbom Band, taken from “Svarta rosor & vit R&B, 1984.
3. Jag Brände Din Bild (live) – taken from “Circus Broadway”, 1989.
4. Kärlekens Skuld (live) – taken from “Circus Broadway”, 1989.
5. Everything Disappears (live) – taken from “Broberg Box”, 1991.
6. Bara För En Dag (live) – taken from “Mellan Sommar Och Höst” Maxi-single, 1992.
7. Värdighet (live) – taken from “Mellan Sommar Och Höst” Maxi-single, 1992.
8. Den Bästa Dagen (live) – taken from “Mellan Sommar Och Höst” Maxi-single, 1992.
9. Bad Moon – Unreleased demo, 1997.
10. Remember – Unreleased demo, 1997.
11. New World – Unreleased demo, 1997.
12. All I Ever Wanted – Unreleased demo, 1997.
13. Beautiful Things – Unreleased demo, 1998.
14. Always The Last To Know – Unreleased demo, 1998.
15. Waiting For The Rain – Unreleased demo, 1998.
16. Do You Wanna Go With Me – Unreleased demo, 1998.
17. För dom som älskar (live) – taken from “Artister Mot Nazister”, 2001.
Technical errors may occur.