Radio Sweden pits Roxette against The Cardigans
STOCKHOLM - In an ongoing series called "The Greatest," which introduces some of Sweden’s most eminent figures through time, Radio Sweden has recently asked its listeners to decide if Roxette or The Cardigans are "the greatest."
On their website, they wrote:
In the late 1970’s Marie Fredriksson and Per Gessle first crossed paths but their own successes meant it wasn’t quite time to get together. In 1986 they merged their music.
International success came with a stroke of luck… an American exchange student returned to America from Sweden and urged a radio station in Minneapolis to play ”The Look”.
Lovefool catapulted The Cardigans from cult favourite to international stardom. The song was included on the blockbuster Romeo and Juliet film soundtrack and topped UK and U.S. charts.
Two Swedish Groups who have made their musical mark both at home and on the international stage …. The 80’s supergroup or the Swedish sweater set? Who's the Greatest…you decide.
Roxette's success story is chronicled, and prominent mention is made during the 13-minute program of the fact that this is Roxette's 20th anniversary year and that the group is getting back together.
The program invited Claus Olsson, editor-in-chief of Sweden's music trade magazine NMB, and Billboard magazine's correspondent in Sweden, Jeffery DeHart, to serve as commentators.
"He's such a master at finding melodies and catchy tunes and hooks that people like, that he's kind of made it into a sport," said Olsson of Per Gessle.
DeHart, who said he's never been a big Roxette fan, spoke of attending a Room Service concert. "It was amazing, I was really surprised…I didn't really expect it to be so well polished, but it was. It was flawless. Very professional, great musicianship, very good band. It was very impressive," he said.
While both ended up at the end of the program choosing The Cardigans, it wasn't without hesitation.
Radio Sweden is the English-language service of Sveriges Radio, available via shortwave radio broadcasts and on the Internet.
- Radio Sweden's Roxette vs. Cardigans audio program (requires RealPlayer)
- Radio Sweden's "The Greatest" program page (in English)
Other matchups include:
- 18th century scientist: Carl Linneaus versus Anders Celsius
- Actress: Greta Garbo vs. Ingrid Bergman
- Author: August Strindberg vs. Selma Lagerlöf
- Athlete: Björn Borg vs. Ingemar Stenmark
- ABBA queen: Agnetha vs. Frida
- Phones or Furniture: Lars Magnus Ericsson vs. Ingvar Kamprad
- Bond Girl: Britt Ekland vs. Maud Adams vs. Izabella Scorupco
- Swedish Chef: Bengt Wedholm vs. Marcus Samuelsson
- Sportswoman: Annika Sörenstam vs. Carolina Klüft
- Princess: Victoria vs. Madeleine
Technical errors may occur.
March 27th, 2006
Internal reference code for TDR's Good Reporters: [tdr 110863]
This article was posted here on TDR in these categories:
Archive, TDR:Roxette, vintage.